Friday, August 21, 2015

Cold War In a Box!

This week I have an item for you that, try as much as I can, I cannot recall actually buying. You see, it has been in my closet for so stinking long, that it just seems like it has always been there. How long? Well, judging from the copyright dates, about 31 years!

The item I'm talking about is this:




Yep, its the U.S. and U.S.S.R.'s nuclear arsenals in cold, deadly plastic. The model is dated 1984, and I'm pretty sure that is around the time I got it. It also is seven years before the fall of the Soviet Union, so at the time, this was high tech stuff!

So, why didn't I ever build it? The answer is simple. At 1/ 144 scale, the missiles were simply too small to convert to fly. As a model rocket guy, that makes it a non-starter...literally. Also, to be perfectly honest, I have always been more interested in manned spaceflight (be it historic or fictional).

So, it sits in my closet. It may be a relic of a cold war past...but it looks like it will always be an unstarted one.

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment