Sunday, July 16, 2017

High Power... The Early Years

The year was 1988. High power was just becoming a "thing." "Becoming a 'thing'" wasn't a "thing" yet. I lived in a little apartment by Eastfield College, and I was holding a very cool rocket catalog. It was from a company called "AAA Model Aviation Fuels" and it was filled with wonderful high power rocket treasures!

Here it is!



I decided that my first high power bird would be a doozie! The Sentry HVTV combined good looks with 3x29mm craziness that I couldn't turn down!

Here it is in the catalog!



When it came in the mail, I was very impressed! The kit came with all of the parts marked as to how it went together! There was no need for a ruler on this job! It also came with about a jillion vinyl stickers and a couple of regular water slide decals. The quality was first rate! How good was it? Well, it's still around and perfectly flyable 29 years later! Here she is!

62.5 inches of high power fun!

If you think you've seen that nose before, you have. It's the Estes Maxi-Pershing cone!

Water slide decals...slightly "aged."

I like the AAA logo...

3x29mm of goodness. Although the tubes seem a little light, I actually flew it with 3 G's with no problem! Note the simple, but effective, motor retention device!
So there you have it! By the way, the catalog says this bird is 54.2 inches long and, as I said, mine is 62.5. Since everything was pre-marked, I can only assume it was a design change. However, I can say that this silly bird flys great! It's cool to still have my first high power bird, and I'm glad it's one from AAA since although they are less remembered than some companies, they made really cool, high quality stuff! (I have another of their kits in addition to this one)

So, until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

1 comment: