Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Club History- 1970's Style

In my quest to figure out what the heck to write on this week, I dug through my bookcase and found an old Pink Book. What was weird is that the book clearly has John Dyer's name on it, and I have no clue of how I wound up with it. What was even more weird is that inside the book there was this card...



Yep, it's a membership application for the Garland Association of Rocketry! I texted John to see exactly when this would have come from, and he thinks it was around 1974 or 5...

He also had the following info:

GAR was started by Randall Victory, Scott Hunsicker, Allen Wilcox, and John Dyer.

It hosted the first ever "Megalaunch" contest, which was a huge success!

It merged with another local club, GASA in the mid '70's (I was a member of GASA).

It was shut down in 1977 when they realized that DARS and GAR had the exact same members, and running two clubs was unnecessary.

As I mentioned before, I was a member of GASA. We met at DP&W's Flying Boxcar (probably the coolest hobby shop ever). By the way, my Camroc took exactly one picture ever, and it was of that hobby shop. I gave it to Woody, the owner of the shop.

So there you have it! I'm going to give John both his Pink Book and card back so he can put them in the DARS archives.

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment