Thursday, September 7, 2017

Simple Pleasures

The year was 1973. I had just completed filling out my Estes order form when I saw that I qualified for a bonus rocket! I skimmed the options and quickly checked the "Little John" Mini-Brute. The order went in the mail and I waited....

I think it's interesting that all these years later, I can't remember what other models I ordered. It might have been a Scizzor-Wing Transport, but I can't be sure. All I know is that when I built and painted the Little John, I fell in love with that silly little rocket. Here it is in the 1973 catalog...




Who can say why one model excites you more than another? There certainly isn't anything too spectacular about the Little John. It's a very industrial looking simple design. The real missile was designed in the mid 1950's, but it was in the Army's inventory until 1969. It was a fin stabilized rocket that could carry a nuclear or conventional warhead.

Maybe it's the no-nonsense look that I like. Simplicity has its own beauty, and the Little John has that in spades! Anyway, I was so impressed with this little rocket, that years later I cloned another one! Actually, the one I built was based on a Centuri sized tube, so it's ever so slightly smaller. Gordon at Excellsior Rocketry adjusted the decals for me. Here she is!



You know, looking at this model is giving me a few ideas...Now that I'm dabbling in high power....hmmmmm....

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment