Monday, May 14, 2018

The Return of the Viper!

The Estes Colonial Viper is a classic kit that inspired a classic upscale by Morerockets.com. I built the upscale a while back and shared it on this blog.

The Viper was a beautiful bird, and even won "Best in show" at the DARS classic that year (the prize was the Sirius Eradicator, which I also built and featured on this blog). Unfortunately, there is more to the story.

If you fly, you sometimes crash, and this was the fate of my Viper. On a hard landing, she received some fin damage, some laser cannon damage, and a whole lot of decal damage. 

Now, fixing fins (and even laser canons) is not too tough, but those decals...there was a problem. I was determined to fix her though, so I contacted Dan at Morerockets.com about replacement decals. As it turns out they were very reasonable and he shipped them out right away. When I opened them I was excited to find that he had even included a few extra! If I crash again, I'm covered! Thanks, Dan!

Therefore here are the pics from my Viper rebirth...

After sanding, I put her on my painting stand...

She painted up nicely. It took about four coats.

On my (very messy) work table. I used my original Estes Viper as a guide on where to place the decals.

The decals were very high quality and very easy to work with. A lot of waterslide decals tend to be very thin, but these were thicker and went on easily even if you have "fumble fingers!"

They also went on faster than I would have thought...

Before I knew it, I was finished! Here are both of my Vipers side by side. The big one will fly again...I might not fly the little one...
So, just like that, the Viper was back in my fleet! Hopefully I'll be able to fly her soon! 

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment