Monday, November 18, 2013

Of Plastic Men and Final Frontiers


One of the advantages of doing a weekly blog is that you can cover topics that may not be directly related to your main topic. This week’s post is a case in point. A couple of posts ago I commented on how Disney inspired the U.S. government’s space program. Today, I’m going to talk about how that space program inspired everyone else.

One of the coolest things about being a “child of the 60’s” is the toys. Sure, we didn’t have video games and such, but it didn’t matter. We had real toys that did real things. Our toys were massive and flashy and, in the case of many of them, futuristic!

The baby boom of the late 50’s met with the space race of the 60’s to give us such great lines as Major Matt Mason, Billy Blastoff, and Mighty Zeroids. Of course this was also the golden age of model rocketry, with many timeless designs being released every year. On TV, Star Trek was blasting through “the final frontier.”  It truly was a great time to be a red blooded American space-lovin’ kid!

One of my favorite toys from the time was the GI Joe space capsule. It was huge and hefty, and after daring space exploits could actually survive a splashdown! As for what it actually did, well, not a lot. It held a 12 inch Joe (decked out in his Jiffy Pop inspired foil space suit). It floated. And, that’s about it. However, I can assure you that mine travelled millions of miles through my imagination. The fact that it was a pretty good approximation of a real Mercury capsule helped keep the fantasy alive.


I got my capsule when I was a kid on Christmas, 1967. I played with it for years, until it suffered a particularly hard reentry and broke off a nozzle.  After that, I think it fell victim to a garage sale and was gone. Cue mournful music.


Me and my cousin, Tamra, on Christmas, 1967
 

However, years later, we were blessed with something called Ebay. On Ebay, you can find anything (and seller blue_art_dog sells great stuff…shameless plug) Anyway, I was able to get a replacement capsule that was in pretty good shape, for a pretty good price! It now sits proudly in my display case. And yes, I do play with it occasionally…

The Mighty GI Joe Space Capsule
The business end

 
The real business end


The finest in space age plastic seating and restraints
The controls that could take Joe to anywhere in the universe!
 

9 comments:

  1. Very cool Stuart. I know you just got it and all, but I am thinking that 3 E30's would make for a very cool flight...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've had it for a while, but I can't get the image of a certain star destroyer out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a second to wipe this up. I'm afraid the drool will short out the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I gotta get the guy and the suit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best friend growing up had the whole set, a hand-me-down from his older brother who is probably close to your age (I was -1 when you got this). We only played with it once, though - he was afraid of it getting messed up. And then it disappeared somewhere along the way.

    In 5th & 6th grade, I spent a lot of Saturday mornings taking astronomy classes at the McDonnell Planetarium (which has since merged with the St Louis Museum of Science and Natural History to form the St Louis Science Center). While I loved the classes, my favorite things were actually all of the cool space program stuff in the good-sized, glassed-in gallery surrounding the planetarium. They had Ham's Mercury-Redstone 2 capsule, a Gemini capsule trainer, and a full-size Apollo capsule mock-up. There was also this really cool moving diorama/audio-visual presentation about the first Lunar base, which the soundtrack claimed had started construction in the late 1970s ("...something that 20th Century man dreamed...and did!"), but it's best not to dwell to much on that or we'll both get sad...

    The whole reason for this long missive is that my absolute favorite things in the whole darned museum were these detailed, cutaway scale models of the Mercury and Gemini capsules. They were probably 1:6 scale, with detailed model astronauts inside. I'm guessing that McDonnell - who built the 1:1 scale models of the capsules that NASA launched as manned PMCs - used them at trade shows and retired them to the museum at the end of their respective programs.

    There were two examples of the Mercury capsule - one in the gallery upstairs and one at the bottom of the stairs to the basement classrooms with slight damage to it (I think the astronaut was missing an arm or a hand or something). I would spend long periods of time just staring at them and wishing I could take one home. I mean, they didn't really need two model Mercury capsules, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they didn't. And I would think no jury would have ever convicted you if you had "borrowed" it for a while. Then again, love of space collectibles just might be damaging my moral compass....Just saying...

      Delete
    2. No, they didn't. And I would think no jury would have ever convicted you if you had "borrowed" it for a while. Then again, love of space collectibles just might be damaging my moral compass....Just saying...

      Delete