Sunday, October 19, 2014

Disney in Plastic

As many of you know, I am a fan of both rocketry and Disney. Nothing combines these subjects quite as well as the TWA Moonliner. Now, I have written at length about this subject before, so I won't go into it again (sound of cheers). This week we are focusing on the plastic model kit.

The original kit was produced in the mid 50's by Strombecker. It was an official licensed product. Disney discovered very early how to cross promote just about everything.

More recently the kit has been produced by Glencoe, who purchased the original molds. The only difference is that now it was NOT an official Disney product. This fact makes sense when you realize that the "real" Moonliner has been missing from Disneyland since the mid 1960's. Also, TWA wouldn't have any interest in licensing it due to the fact that they have been out of business for a few decades. This is not a huge issue since you can sometimes find replacement TWA decals on eBay.

I have also included a picture of what comes in the box. As you can see, this is a very simple model. Also, I don't think it would be good for Plastic Model Conversion, due to the small scale. 1/144 scale translates into about 11 inches tall, and pretty skinny.  Still, it is pretty cool, overall.

The TWA Moonliner was used to promote both TWA and Disneyland. 

The original kit

The most current kit

What is inside...
By the way, there is a 41 inch tall TWA Moonliner plastic model being offered on eBay right now that seems like it would be really cool....IF it didn't go for 250 bucks! Is it weird that I still find it a little tempting? Oh well, maybe when I hit that ol' lottery (that I always forget to play)

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

2 comments:

  1. A comment on scale...the Glencoe kit instructions say it's in 1:144 scale, but the Fantastic Plastic site says that the scale of the Strombecker model is 1:83. I find this funny because, of course, both kits use the same mold. Since the actual Disneyland Moonliner was touted as being in 1:3 scale, I guess this "change" of scale of makes sense.

    A happy accident of this kit is that 1:83 scale is pretty close to 1:87, or HO scale, which means if I ever do build that Disneyland layout, this is one less thing I'll have to scratchbuild.

    I've seen photos of the "Disneyland of Walt's Imagination" diorama at the Walt Disney Family Museum, and it appears they used a stock Strombecker or Glencoe kit for the Moonliner. Since the diorama is mostly executed in what looks like 1:160 (N scale), the Moonliner looks huge - sort of like what I imagine a full-scale version of the Moonliner would have looked like had it been built for the Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that, but it actually makes sense, lol!
    I'd love to see a Disneyland layout!

    ReplyDelete