Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spaceflight- Educating a New Generation

First of all, let me apologize for being a bit late on this post.  A four day weekend with about eight days of stuff cramed into it meant I had little time to think...much less blog! However, I have mended my ways and here is the result...

Years ago, when I was first starting out in school counseling, I had an idea about teaching a new generation about the wonders of space in a fun, exciting way. I wanted to cover several subjects and also show how character development was involved. Therefore, I came up with the Spaceflight curriculum for 5th graders. The program focused on science and social studies, and ended with a modified spot landing competition. We actually did this for several years at two different schools that I worked at, and it was a huge success. However  losing 5th grade, and a large part of the field next to my current school put an end to the project.

But, for your enjoyment, here are some shots of the book I put together for teachers. It's 156 pages long, so I just included a couple...


The lessons in the book included all hand outs and TEKS covered.



So until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

1 comment: