Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Out of This World Cereal

I have oft times talked about how during my childhood in the 1960's, the concept of space exploration was pretty much everywhere. There were toys, games, tv shows, movies, advertisement and more. Pretty much if a tie-in could be made with space, it happened. It was truly a wonderful time to grow up!

One of the more unlikely areas of space exploitation (see what I did there?) was breakfast. It was long understood that kids loved cereal, and the more sugar it contained, the better. Cereal can, of course, be formed into pretty much any shape and in the '60s it became flying saucers! Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Quisp!

Quisp was created in 1965 by Quaker Oats Company. It had several things going for it. First, the commercials were done by Jay Ward, who was nore famous for Rocky and Bullwinkle. Second, it was shaped like flying saucers. Finally, it was actually pretty darn good! Now, granted, it was chock full of sugar, but that only made it better!

I can remember many mornings chowing down on those little saucers. It was wonderful! Now, some negative-types will tell you that it was really just Capn' Crunch in a different form, but they are wrong. I can tell. Really.

Unfortunately, although Quisp is officially still around, it is harder to find than the Loch Ness Monster in your bathtub. It has, therefore, been several years since I've had any. If anybody knows where I can find a stash, please let me know!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

3 comments:

  1. I have a new Quisp in box, call me at 972-824-9210 Neil Tarasoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get boxes from many places online.

    A stash?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/27617757?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018944863&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40891258232&wl4=pla-78820771472&wl5=9026827&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=27617757&wl13=&veh=sem

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get it from many places online. Searching "Quisp cereal" on Google returns many results.

    ReplyDelete