Monday, May 23, 2016

From Maxi-Kit to Maxi-Project

This week we have a blast from the past...and a project for the future! Years ago, I bought and built an Estes Maxi Honest John. Here are a couple of pictures from way back then:



As you can see, it turned out pretty well! However, there was one problem. 29mm motors had just recently been introduced, and I thought it would be a great idea to substitute the standard 24mm mount with a 29mm! Cool, huh?

Ok, not so much. You see, I failed to strengthen the vacuum formed fins. When I used a G motor for the first time, the obvious happened...SHRED!!!!!! My cool model was now a very uncool parts pile. I shoved it up in a closet in shame...

Years later I stumbled across it and discovered it really isn't uncool. It's actually rather cool after all. You see, other than the fins and the original body tube, the parts are in pretty good shape. I'm pretty sure that with new fins (I'm leaning toward aircraft ply over framework, with root pins through the wall) this baby can fly the way I really wanted it to originally. I think I can turn this:


...into something really special. So, that's what I plan to do! As the internet is my witness SHE WILL FLY AGAIN!!!

Ok, maybe that was a little too much drama, but it should be a fun project. I'll post it here as soon as she's finished....

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment