Saturday, September 1, 2018

Checking In With Something That Could Be Checked Out...

Well, life has gotten rather "nutsy coo-coo" lately, and STB has gotten the short end of the stick. However, I thought I'd do a quick check in with everybody by sharing something from my collection that I really like. It's my Fourth Edition Handbook of Model Rocketry from 1976!

Now, it's really not all that rare but it's fun anyway. My mom was librarian at Garland High School for quite a while and gave me this copy when they retired it. Sometimes I wonder how many kids checked it out and dreamed about rockets in the 70s. Let's take a look, shall we?

The cover, which featured contest flying. It was big back then. Really big. Now...not so much.

The title page shows that the first edition was published in 1965...It was updated very quickly to this 4th edition.

One of the coolest ideas ever was featured in the "payloads" section. I actually had a Camroc about the same time this book came out. I took exactly one picture with it (of DP&Ws Flying Boxcar) that I gave to the owner, Woody.

This is called "math." We used to use it instead of altimeters and sim programs. 

At the far right of this picture we have the massive F100! FSI knew how to do "cool."

Speaking of "cool," let's get downright cold! These rockets (originally from Vashon) were fantastic! And then the government said we couldn't have them any more....
So there you have it! There are a lot more neat things in there, but you'll have to find a copy and look for yourself. Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

3 comments:

  1. I remember checking this out from our local library when it was still a relatively new book. This was the first place I ever saw a picture of the mythical F engine, which we'd only heard about in stories from a friend's older brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's when F engines spew fire and smoke like dragons! Now, you get a little light and a "pwooof!"
      On an unrelated note, my blogs aren't notifying me when people post! I must investigate!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for bringing back some memories. This was the edition that I had back in my old fleet days. Mine was as torn up and dog-eared as yours is, except it only had one user...me! I stupidly sold the book along with the rest of all my rocketry stuff back in 1985 when I exited the hobby. Wish I still had it (along with the Cineroc I let go, as well...)

    ReplyDelete