Saturday, November 3, 2018

Maxi Honest John Rebuild- Construction Finale!

Well, it seems like this project has been dragging on FOREVER. That's probably because it has. If you remember our last post (way back in September, I think) we were waiting to slap on the "motor band" detail and then run off to the races with paint and decals. Now, over a month later....I finally got the motor band on. Let me 'splain.

You see, the problem was holes. Not just any holes, mind you, but with 3/16 inch holes. The last layer of the motor band has 24 of these little suckers, and, therefore, I needed a 3/16 inch hole punch. Can you guess what size punch does NOT exist in the DFW area?

No problem! That's what those interwebs are for, right? Well, my first purchase from eBay turned out actually being a 1/4 inch punch. Grrrrrrr! They were nice about it and refunded my money while letting me keep it (although I have no use for it). And so I ordered another one.

Now, mind you, this was a punch that I was going to use on one project to punch 24 little holes in a detail that most people don't even notice. Still, I was on a mission! I would not be defeated!

The next punch came in and it wascactually the right size!!! So today I buckled down and made the band! Here are some exciting pics!

Step one: draw the strips on heavy stock paper.

Step two: After measuring out the holes, use the handy dandy, extremely rare 3/16 hole punch to punch them out. Use the measurement marks to line up the punch.

Step three: Marvel at holes that cost you ten bucks and a month of your life to produce! Yay! (You may now toss hole punch in garbage...I didn't, but I kinda felt like it)

Step four: Glue strips on the exact center of the body tube. Construction is now complete.

And there you have it! Now it's time to paint! ...right when the temperature is falling and the humidity it skyrocketing. What can go wrong??? Still, by Grabthar's Hammer, I WILL get this bird finished!!!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

2 comments:

  1. I ran into the same problem with the recent Estes kit. The holes were laser cut, but I didn't like the hold tabs on the circle border. why they couldn't cut them out completely is beyond me!
    http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2015/11/estes-honest-john-7240-build-part-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! The trials and tribulations of rocket scientists!

      Delete