Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Top Eliminator

Well, this freaky Texas spring got the better of DARSTAR XI once again. The field was a swamp, and Polaris missile launching was NOT one of the events. Therefore, we had to postpone again.

So, what does one do when handed extra time? Why rocket mash-ups, of course! A rocket mashup is simply taking a bit of this and a bit of that and seeing what happens. A while back, I came up with this:



This is the Estes Top Eliminator! The idea was simple; take an Estes Eliminator and really increase the performance...kind of like a top fuel dragster. In this case, I simply took an old Nike Smoke fin can and made it the fin section for the upper stage, while turning the Eliminator fin can into the bottom stage. Then I got really nuts and put 24mm mounts in both.

I painted the whole thing black to help with spotting it against the sky. I added the yellow fin just to dress it up a bit. And that was it. Done.

I have yet to fly her, because I'm pretty sure I'll lose her on the first flight, but I'll be sure to get some nice pictures.

So until next time, fly 'em fast and high!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment