Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Roaring Rubicon!

I was going through a few pictures I had on my computer while putting together a DVD slide show for Moon Day (THIS Saturday, campers!) and out of the 580 or so, I found documentation of one of my crazier ideas.

 Years ago, Estes released a series of Ansari X Prize rockets, based on actual ideas for entries into that contest. I found a heavily discounted Rubicon at Hobby Lobby and I snatched it up with no clear idea what I was going to do with it. I let it sit around for a while, until I decided to build it. I figured going mainly stock on it was a good idea, except for one little detail.

You see, the original rocket was designed for five engines. It seemed a shame to let the model fly with just one little D12, so I came up with this...

Pretty normal, huh?

But, here's the trick! Triple the fun!

The secret to adding weight to the tail...Weight to the nose! Yes, that's lead...

Sitting on the pad about 10 years ago...

And in the air!!! It's a bit blurry because I didn't use three D12's...I used three E15's. I told you it was a little crazy!

So there you have it! The most stupidly over the top black powder-powered Rubicon ever. I think I only flew it that one time. It now sits, kind of forgotten, in my rocket room. I guess there are advantages to looking at old pictures!

Speaking of which, if you want to see all 580+ pictures, plus about 40 minutes of launch video, plus lots of cool rockets on display, plus lots of other moon and space related stuff, come on out to the Frontiers of Flight Museum for Moon Day this Saturday, July 18 from 10 to 5! It will be a blast! We hope to see you there!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment