Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Mighty Saturn V

There are some rockets that are just flat-out classics. Some, because of styling; some, because of historic significance; some because of both. Today I thought I'd share some pictures from around 1990 of a rocket that fits in the third catagory.

The Estes Saturn V is one of the most impressive flying models ever made. Sporting a BT-101 body tube, this rocket has just enough heft to make it truly impressive. Sure, the fins are a little over sized for true scale, but I can easily forgive that safety concession.

In around 1990 I decided to go ahead and fly mine. I was snapping pictures with a Yashica-Mat mid format camera, and my friend, Wayland, was shooting black and white. Here are the pictures from that day:

Prior to launch. I don't know who that guy is...

Lift off!

Another angle in color!

It was sometimes difficult for the single D-12 to pressurize the large BT-101 tube....Oops.

The horizontal fall helped soften the blow.

No damage! (Special guest appearance by Jack Sprague!)
Now, the main reason I shared these pictures is that I think they are kind of cool. The other reason is to remind everyone that Moon Day is coming up again at the Frontiers of Flight Museum at Love Field! If anyone wants to help out on July 18, they are more than welcome! Or if you just want to come and see all of the festivities, that's good too! Hours are from 10 to 5. We hope to see you there!

So until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment