Friday, December 15, 2017

The Alpha Before the Alpha....


The year was 1959. The country was space-crazy and Scientific Products released one of the coolest toys ever. You see, before Estes had the Alpha, Scientific Products had the Alpha-1.

The Alpha-1 wasn't a solid fuel rocket. It used liquid fuel and powdered oxidizer. (vinegar and baking soda). It featured a remote launcher and was made of sturdy all-American plastic!

I had seen these for sale on eBay from time to time, but it wasn't until fellow DARS member Bob Melton brought one to sell at the DARS flea market a couple of weeks ago that I saw one in person. Actually, I did more than look at it...I bought it! (Bob had two so he was willing to let one go).

So now I will share it with you! Here, in all its glory, is the Alpha-1!

The box art is fantastic!

I think I like the side just as much!

All the info you need on the manufacturer...

Inside the box, the contents are displayed nicely with a back card photo...

Safety first!

I love the "fuel crate."

In case Mom got concerned...

The fuel comes in "barrels."

The secret of the remote launcher...a spring loaded hook and a pull string.

The motor is a mixing port for the fuel.

The instructions are even cool!

Great ideas for how to use your rocket!

I like the illustrations...

...and a little bit of history.
So, there you have it! I'd like to thank Bob for hooking me up with this beauty!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment