Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Goblin...An Interlude...

Well, the master plan was thus: build a BT-80 Estes Goblin upscale out of junk parts I had laying about and try to keep the costs down to an absolute minimum. Also, document the process in a two part blog that would finish up today. However, plans often change and a big part of being in this hobby is the ability to roll with the changes (cue REO Speedwagon).

In this case, the monkey that tossed in the wrench (why do monkeys have tools at all?) was the weather. You see, the rocket is completely built (and it looks...just...so cool) but Spring decided to take the weekend off and Winter offered to step in to cover it and *Presto!* no painting for Stu. Sigh...

So, what does a blogger do when plans fall through? You punt. You may offer helpful hints about the blog (Clicking on the pictures makes them bigger and sharper!), or give semi-interesting facts about the blog (We've done over 200 posts so far with an average readership of 250 folks!). But in my case, I wanted to do more. You deserve more! Ok, maybe not much more, but here we go...

I present to you...from way back in 1998ish...my very first clone...THE GOBLIN!!!





There she is, in all her Goblinish glory! Ok, she's a little banged up, but she's been flown a few times. And let's not forget "flown" means with a D12... The motor mount tells the tale of the fury of those flights!


Mmmmm...crispy!

Way back in the late '90s when I cloned her, you couldn't hook it over to the local Hobby Lobby and just buy one (for 40% off...don't forget the coupon!). I had to go to Jimz Rocket Plans, print off the instructions, fin patterns and decals, print my own decals on Testors decal paper (thank goodness they were all black since I didn't have a color printer at the time) and then look up how tall it was supposed to be in old catalogs! Whew! You whipper-snappers got it good! Now get off my yard!!!

Anyway, the point to all of this (such as it is) is that the Goblin and I go way back and my (soon to be painted) BT-80 LOC Goblin is just the latest step in that relationship. There's just something about that little yellow and black hot rod that I really like...and soon I'll have a bigger one!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

2 comments:

  1. My first Goblin was done the same way yours was, the fun way. Now I have that one, a new Estes one, a BT-70 upscale and an oddball one that uses a FlisKits canted cluster mount. That particular one was just painted this week and is flightworthy, but without decals at the moment. Wonder if Hobby Lobby still has any on the rack?

    ReplyDelete