Friday, April 13, 2018

This Goblin Build is a Real Monster!

STICKERSHOCK CAME THROUGH IN RECORD TIME! THIS IS THE UPDATED BLOG ENTRY!

The story thus far: I happened to notice, while building another rocket, that I had most of the stuff I needed to build an LOC 2.63 diameter Goblin upscale! All I would need to do is rip apart an old busted up rocket I got for pretty much nothing at a DARS auction and add some new 1/8 inch ply fins and there ya go!

When we left off, I had ripped the old rocket apart, salvaged the 29mm motor mount, cut the body tube to length, and made the four fins...

We now resume our story...

I decided to use a slightly different approach with this bird. I took inspiration from Scott Cook's huge Der Red Max, which can be taken apart for transport. Although the Goblin won't be able to be taken apart, I built the motor mount to slide into the rear of the body tube after being fully built.

Internal fillets done, waiting on the slots to be cut in the tube...

The rocket that I used for this build was green. As I sanded it to smooth out some spots, I found that it was lighter green under the dark green. The effect looked a whole lot like a pickle.

Ah, there we go! The fin can is now in place. The rear of the tube got a little extra epoxy to hold the areas between the fins down.

For external fillets (and launch lugs) I used wood glue. The real structural fillets are the internal ones (in the C-slot fin guides) so these could just look nice...

A few coats of yellow paint dressed her up nicely...I had the yellow left over from the project that's sitting behind her...

When a Goblin becomes a Mummy. Time for the gloss black!

The black covered like a dream. One coat was all it took...

And on the nose, too! 
A little positive motor retention never hurt anyone.


And all ready for decals!!!
I had to place an order to Stickershock for decals to replace the ancient waterslide set that shattered into a million pieces when it touched water. These came through VERY quickly and went on like a dream! Here are the end results!

I used the original Estes K-55 plans for my decal placement. They have the logos and "goblin" figures angled with the fins...but not exactly following the fin edges. I think I got close...

It's funny, but when I think of this bird, I think of bats all over it. In fact, the original only had four (and two of those were in the Goblin logo). Stickershock gives you tons to have fun with, and I was tempted, but I ended up only adding one extra...

Which would be this little guy. Not on the original. Nope. 

Interestingly enough (at least to me) there are two schools of thought on the placement of the "3" stickers. The original plans featured what I call "the reclining 3." The new Estes kit has "the standing 3." Obviously either way is right, but I went with the vintage vibe...

This is my bass case. I stick random stickers on it because...well, because...

And here we have two generations of Stickershock logos! For the record, my wife likes the new one best. (I do too.)

So after all of that, I finally have my upscale Goblin! I'm glad that I was able to take a crashed piece of junk and turn it into something I can be proud of. By the way, the total cost, even after the emergency decal order, was under twenty bucks! You can't beat that!

Until then, fly 'em fast and high!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Stuart,
    Just wanted to drop you a note letting you know I just found your blog today. What a great read! You have a very good writing style and excellent variety of subject matter. If you haven't seen my own blog yet, I invite you to check it out, here: https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
    I will definitely be adding a link to your blog on my 'other sites to visit' list. Keep it coming!
    -Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the double post. The first one disappeared form my screen, and thinking it was lost in the abyss, I drafted a second. I will delete one of them.
      -Ed

      Delete