Monday, December 3, 2018

The Estes Maxi Honest John...A Long Awaited Conclusion!

I now have the pleasure to write a post that was literally decades in the making...the conclusion of the rebuilding of my Honest John! When we last left off, I had created and installed the motor band (a task that took far longer than it should have). Now we move on to painting and decals!

I painted the whole model flat olive green. It took about four coats, since I was laying them on pretty lightly. I didn't want runs in the cooler than normal painting temeratures. Here is an "in process" picture...

About two coats in. Things are still a little uneven...
 Then I began to apply my vinyl decals by Mark at Stickershock. I've gotten pretty comfortable with working with these, and actually prefer them to water slide decals.

What better to smooth down the decals than an old NAR card?
 
The backing can be cut so that you can use it as a template so lining everything up is super easy!


The extra Stickershock Calvin sticker was used elsewhere! 

And before I knew it, she was finished! Here are a few final shots!

She turned out pretty nice, I think.

Another view...

...and yet another view!

So there you have it! After about 25 years, my Estes Maxi Honest John lives again! (Granted, she now has plywood fins). Now, to just get up the nerve to launch her!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment