Monday, December 31, 2018

The Re-rebirth of the Star Trek Starter Rocket Upscale!

Well, a couple of months ago I shared how I finally got my level one certification...but not until I had once again slammed my poor STSR into the ground. Upon reflection, I have decided that an H is just not enough motor for her. She is built strong and heavy: like bull. Therefore a gust of wind hitting her rather large trapazoid fins tilted her over and proved that popping the chute five feet above the ground was no bueno.

 But the "Up" part looked so good...until...


At first, in my anger, I considered scrapping her. But when I really looked at the damage later, that irritating voice popped into my head and said, "It's really not too bad." That voice really gets on my nerves.

Here is the damage:

Three fins popped off. No real damage to the fins or the airframe. Even the vinyl is ok. Fourth fin is nice and tight.

Upper four and a half inches of quantum tube crunched. The main issue here is the wrap being buggered up. 

Nose cone...just look away.
 So, having weighed my options, I emailed Mark from Stickershock and asked if he could just print the forward five inches of the wrap. He said it was no problem! I then ordered a new nose cone from PML. I have enough extra quantum tubing, so I am in business!

The parts for the rebuild (or re-rebuild) Note that Mark sent me a couple of extra wrap pieces. This is either in case I mess up putting it on, or if I crash it a fourth time... Either way, he's looking out for me!

So, now I just need to start rebuilding! A couple of notes: since there will be a coupler in the nose now, I won't be able to use my ejection piston. No biggie. I have other rockets I can use it on. Also, since an H motor underpowers this beast, I may just have to go with a J motor...Level 2 anyone?

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

4 comments: