Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Scale Scribblings...Phase Two, in which Doris gets her oats....

Ok, ignore the title to this post, I was having a "Let It Be" moment.

Anyway, last week I talked about Peter Alway's book "Rockets of the World" and explained how it can be a big help in getting that sometimes elusive documentation. But what about actually building the model? Who the heck is gonna help me with that? Huh? Huh???

Peter Alway, that's who! In 1994 he published "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry."




 I picked mine up and they same time I got my copy of ROW. (He signed it too, by the way) and while I haven't used it quite as much as his other book, I still find it a fantastic resource. The book covers all aspects of scale modeling, including selecting the prototype, deciding on what scale to use, making it stable, and specialized construction techniques and finishing. He even gives hints on flying the event and includes plans and scale data for 13 different scale models!




The Table of Contents

.
An Example of the Data and Plans
Unfortunately, unlike "Rockets of the World," "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" is no longer in print. I have heard (although not first hand) that Mr. Alway feels that some of the information is dated and also that the information for the book is saved in file formats that are no longer supported, so to update it and reprint it would involve pretty much starting from scratch. Still, the most important parts are certainly not out of date, so I would hope it could be reprinted in the future.

In the meantime, copies can be found on Amazon (for HIGH prices!) and sometimes on Ebay.

So, until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment