Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Mad Magician of Red River

Welcome to another edition of STB!

This week, I'm going to focus on a project that took me about four years to complete, The Red River Rocketry Merlin!

As I said, I got the Merlin about four years ago and started dreaming. John Dyer, the owner of Red River Rocketry, has always teased me because he says I can never build any of his kits stock. Actually, that's not true. I build them completely stock, I just finish them with my own.....personality. And, to be fair, it's not just John's kits that I "tweak." Bad Kitty, Guard Duck, Big Bad Betty all started out as perfectly stock LOC and Quest kits. Now, they just sport a little different paint scheme. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out exactly what I want to do. Sometimes it takes four years!

With the Merlin, I liked the name, so that would stay. I wanted to do a little different spin on the idea, though. I dipped into my love of Disney and referenced the movie, "The Sword in the Stone" from 1963. One of the main characters is, of course, Merlin! Therefore, the Disney Merlin would have to go on this rocket. I accomplished this by using my old favorite Testors Decal Paper and my Canon color printer. While I was at it, I also made a "Disney" logo for one fin.

For the paint scheme, I wanted something "magic." I decided to use my airbrush and my (somewhat limited) airbrushing skills, and do a "lightning bolt through the clouds" idea. I started by painting the whole model gloss white with a rattle can, and then I applied blue to the nose to simulate clouds. I then sprayed gold on the very tip for the lightning.

I also used all the decals that came with the kit (a "Merlin" logo, gold foil, and a Red River logo) and hit the whole thing with crystal clear. The result is:

The Merlin!
Now I just have to get up the nerve to fly her! I looked in my range box and found a G80-10. Just sitting there....waiting.....tempting....

Well, we'll see what happens!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment