Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Revell F-94 Starfire, An Unconventional Conversion

Well, providing that we actually HAVE DARSTAR XI, Plastic Model Conversion will once again play a big role in the contest. PMC has been featured in every DARSTAR...well, ever...and this year will be no exception, by gum (and I've got the money to buy gum!) So, I figured this week we could focus on a PMC that I built about 25 years ago that I never expected to work.

I hadn't been having a lot of luck with PMC models. An F-16, Stealth Fighter, and Imperial Cruiser that I had poured love and effort into had all broken my heart (and themselves). Still, I fought on!

I found a retro rerelease of the Revell F-94 Starfire at Michaels MJ Design for about four bucks. I plunked down my money. I swear I could hear taps playing in anticipation...

There isn't much "rocket-like" about the F-94. The wings are long and very far forward. The tail is small and swept. The only thing it had going for it was that a section of BT-20 tube fit perfectly in it.



I put about a ton of lead in the nose. That was about my only strategy. That and a C6-3 in the tail. On launch day, I knew it was going to die. I kind of felt sad for it...

Except it didn't die. When I pushed the button, she lept into the sky straight and true! She flew! She really flew!!! A 12 inch mylar chute brought her home safely!


What did I learn from this adventure? Well, maybe just to not write off a model just because it doesn't look like it should work. Or maybe just that even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then! So get out there and start cutting up those plastic models!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment