Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A Monopoly In Space

This week we're going to look at something I picked up about 18 years ago...and then kind of forgot! You see, I have started another blog called "Stu's Attic" that features items from my other, non-rocket related collections. One such collection is my board game collection. When I was digging around for something to post on "Stu's Attic," I ran across this:



Yep, the U.S. Space Program version of Monopoly! Actually, this is a pretty good version of the classic game. It came out at a time when USAopoly was making Monopoly games for just about any subject.

They did a really good job on this one, though. The "properties" are various spacecraft and launch facilities. How many times can you say you've bought an X-15 for 60 bucks? ...Or Johnson Space Center for 140.00?

The goal seems to be to take over the space program by buying it all up...which is a little weird, but whatever. I guess that's one way to fund it.

That being said, that's actually kind of what is happening now with the private companies getting into the space biz, so maybe they weren't so far off after all! If you would like your own copy of this game, you can still find them on eBay for about 45 bucks.

So until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment