Thursday, June 23, 2016

Visit the Beautiful Moon!

I have a quick one for you this week. While looking around on the ol' interwebs, I found this:

Yep, it's the Moonliner! In 1955, when Disneyland opened, they fully expected there to be passenger service to the moon by 1986 (that was the year that Tomorrowland was originally meant to represent). Now, they weren't saying we were going to land there. The Moonliner orbited the moon and immediately returned to Mother Earth. Still, such was the optimism of the time.

Now? Well...let's just say that we could use a little dose of 1955 around here.

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

4 comments:

  1. I love the graphics showing the Moonliner with the "gear" retracted. If I ever get around to building my Glencoe reissue of the Strombecker Moonliner kit, I'm sorely tempted to build it in an in-flight configuration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be cool! I didn't build my flying model that way because I needed something to work as fins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you did end up building a flying Moonliner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! You can see a picture of it in flight on my second blog post on this blog! I used it as a "How do I post pictures?" test, lol!

      Delete