Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Hidden Surprise

A while back I bought a few model airplane magazines from the 1950's through the 1970's in an auction. Ok, I bought more than a "few." I bought around 300+ or so...maybe a lot more...I'm not sure... Even though I bought them about two years ago, I haven't gone through them all because....dang, there are over 300 of those suckers!

Anyway, occasionally I'll flip through a few and today I got an interesting surprise. Here is the magazine:

April, 1969
 When I flipped through the pages, I found this!:





Yep, right in the middle of the magazine, there was Model Rocketeer magazine! Now, I've been a NAR member since the mid-seventies, and I never knew that there was a time when the Model Rocketeer wasn't a stand alone magazine. So, this raises some questions;

1. Was the Model Rocketeer only available in American Aircraft Modeler at this point?
2. When did it start?
3. When did it become a stand-alone publication?
4. Do I have more of them?
5. Am I too lazy to check?
6. I could really use a drink of water...I should stop typing and get one.
7. Ah...better.

Anyway, there you have it. If anyone has the answers, feel free to comment!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

1 comment:

  1. The first issue of American Aircraft Modeler was Jan 1968. It contained Model Rocketeer.
    http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/rockets/images/national-association-rocketry-application-jan-1968-aam.jpg

    The first issue of Model Rocketry magazine was October 1968.

    Model Rocketeer was moved into Model Rocketry in August 69.

    NAR announced re-separation in Nov '71, with Dec '71 the last issue of Model Rocketry containing Model Rocketeer.

    Model Rocketry magazine's last issue was Jan/Feb '72.

    ReplyDelete