Sunday, June 4, 2017

My Coolest Rocket

Last week I featured a book on Apollo 7. This week I figured that I would share one of the models that we built for the 40th Anniversary Celebration. We each got to keep one Saturn IB that our team built, and we got them signed! The complete story can be found in Launch magazine from a few years ago, so I'll just share pictures of the model. Here you go!

The mighty Saturn IB stands on my piano. Note the photobombing Moonliner....

Walt Cunningham signed her right in front of me! 

...as did Carl McLawhorn! For those who may not know, Carl owned Semroc (who provided the kits). His passing a few years ago was a real tragedy for the rocket community...

Mark Mayfield owned and ran "Launch Magazine." He had a huge role in planning the celebration!
The day was incredible. I was there with almost every one of my Apollo heroes, including Neil Armstrong and Buzz Adrin (Buzz managed to charm my wife Laurie with about three words...Yep, he's still got it!) And to top it all off, I have this huge memento of the occasion. It doesn't get much better than that!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment