Sunday, October 8, 2017

October Rebirth...

When one thinks of new life springing from the ashes of the old, May or June might be the months that come to mind. When one thinks of things being reborn in October, one thinks more along the lines of...I don't know...maybe zombies? Anyway, that is exactly what is happening in my garage this weekend. Not a zombie attack, but a rocket rebirth!

As you may know, my Star Trek Starter Set upscale rocket decided to destroy itself a few weeks ago. Streaming in from full altitude, the ejection charge went off just in time to knock the nose off before it slammed into the rock hard east Texas black clay. The damage was horrible for both the rocket and my ego.

Upon getting it home I looked at the damage and decided to rebuild. I really only needed to replace the main Quantim tube, the Quick Change motor mount, the coupler section of the ejection piston, and the wraps. A couple of quick emails to Stickershock (for the wraps) and PML (for everything else) and I was back in business!

The old and the new... broken parts mixed with their shiny new replacements! 
This weekend, I started building. Or, more accurately, I've started deconstruction...and then building. I will say that the deconstruction is the hardest part. We use epoxy on these birds for a reason, and even with a Dremil tool it does NOT like to let go! Still, at this moment everything has been taken apart and (after a little clean up) will be ready to go back together!

Maybe this story is closer to Frankenstein than the Easter bunny...

Anyway, soon she should be flying again! I'll let everyone know when she's finished (again)!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment