Friday, April 25, 2014

A Happy Accident

Well, testing is done and packed, so now I can get down to really important things.....rockets!

This week's post features what I like to call a "Happy Accident." You see, it was a rocket that I built with absolutely no plan in mind. I just let the design happen as I went along and it ended up rather nice!

The story starts with a wrapping paper tube. I was messing around with it and I decided to see if I could actually get it smooth enough to use as a body tube. It took LOTS of Fill n Finish and even more sanding, but after many hours I had a usable tube. (Note: I also swore that I would never do it again!)

Now I had a problem. What the heck was I going to do with it? I started digging around in my spare parts drawers and came up with a nose cone and fin unit that fit fairly well. So I used them just because they fit. I put in an Estes E9 mount because I happened to have one (do you see the trend here?)

Next came the color. I had yellow, so I used yellow....and a little black....  As I looked at it, the name just came to me. You see, as a kid I loved Zonkers....I still do, by the way... and I was sure this simple rocket would scream. A little work with my computer and some Testors decal paper, and she was done....and for free!

I really like the way she turned out, but I have to admit that it was a complete, albeit happy, accident. Here are some pictures:

The Screaming Yellow Zonker!!!!

The logo took about 10 seconds to come up with....

Add my beautiful wife's and my names, and my NAR number and.....done!
Until next time fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment