Thursday, April 3, 2014

An Apollo Treasure

I really didn't know what to write about this week. I am in charge of my campus' STAAR testing, so I've been a little preoccupied. What to write?

Then I thought about something that happened a few years ago that was truly one of the highlights of my life. Thanks to John Dyer, several area rocket guys were tapped to build scale models of Apollo 7 for the 40th anniversary celebration at the Frontiers of Flight Museum in Dallas. It was really hard work (I STILL hate fiddly-bits!!!!) but we got it done and on October 17th, 2008  we found ourselves among such childhood heroes as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (not to mention many many more, including Walt Cunningham, who was the guest of honor)

I could probably write a book about that day, but I wanted to share one small item with you. This:


As you can read on the coin, this item not only commemorated the day, but it actually contains bits of Apollo 7. One day I'm going to buy a display case to house the wonderful artifacts from that day, and I can assure you that these coins (my wife Laurie and I both got one) will be front and center.

Thanks for allowing me to share.
Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

1 comment:

  1. I hated all the weekends I was upstaged by Apollo 7 models, but thank you for introducing me to Buzz Aldrin (one of the nicest and most cordial people ever) and getting Walt Cunningham's autograph (quite an honor).

    ReplyDelete