Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Quest For the Trek...

Well, happy 2015 everyone! I hope everyone had a safe and fun New Years!

Today, I am going to let you all in on a project I have had brewing in the dimmer recesses of my brain for quite some time. I don't normally let the cat out of the bag on ideas such as these, but telling about my Odyssey project actually made me get it done, so why not? Also, I have a request....but more on that later.

My current dream revolves around the Estes Star Trek Starter Set. As far as classic rockets go, this is not exactly one. All it really is is a plastic nose and fin can with a rather campy body tube decal containing Star Trek images. Still, it has a special place in my heart since I owned one as a kid. I can still remember launching it on a weekend in Caddo with my grandfather. Good times!

The set in the 1976 Estes catalog. Note the incorrect color.

A set on EBay. No, I didn't get it...
And now for my great idea... When I was first getting into the up-scale craze, I had the idea of doing thus rocket. This simple rocket in a large enough scale (say 4 inch diameter, for example) would really be impressive! The problem, however, is with the decals. It seems that since they contain licensed material, noone offers them. I did find a rather low-res scan a while back, but for an upscale, it simply wouldn't work. I even had what I thought was a generous bid on an unopened set being offered on EBay by James Gartrell's grandson, but I was literally outbid at the last second. Ugh!!!

So, this is my request....Can anyone out there point me to a high-res scan of the decals? If you can, I will give you full credit here! Just email me at stu29573@yahoo.com ! Please help, this project depends on you!

Ok, enough begging. Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment