Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Simplicity of the Contest

This weekend DARS is hosting our first contest of the year! It is time for the Dallas Winter Intergalactic! Now, while some contest birds can be complicated, most are pretty simple, really. Let's take a look at what I'm planning to fly Saturday...


On the bottom we have the most complicated bird, a Rose-A-Roc helicopter. This was actually rather challenging to build, but it turns in consistantly fair times in helicopter duration, so I use it. Plus, it happens to be what I have. In reality any spinny recovery bird (that stays in one piece) would work. My bird has been beaten by a spinning pyramid. Really.

Next, we have my parachute/ streamer duration bird. It is beyond simple, and I will try to build a backup before contest day. The fins are 1/32 ply, there is no engine block to save weight, and the shock cord runs on the outside (attached to the engine in the back). It is literally a paper tube, three fins and a nose cone. It is also very high performance.

Lastly, we have my open spot landing entry. It is my old almost RTF Estes X-15. You can literally use anything in open spot landing, so I figured, why not?

And that's it. Nothing too scary. Just some simple rockets for having fun with friends. I hope you guys can make it out!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment