Thursday, April 21, 2016

Shoulda Set The Park Brake...

I was going to feature something different this week, but then I saw that "The Vault of Retro Sci-Fi 2.0" had published this on Facebook...


This cover was just too tasty to pass up! As you can see, it apparently features a band of intrepid space travellers who need to make a quick call to AAA. Now, what really caught my eye was the rocket. Anyone who has a passing knowledge of 1950's sci-fi (or has read this blog for a while) will recognize it as the Wernher von Braun/ Walt Disney ferry rocket! (or, rather, a close cousin). I'm pretty sure Walt and Wernher would not have approved of crashing their creation even just for a book cover, so this is obvioulsy a knock-off.

Still, I think the image is wonderful! Had I been hanging out in a German news stand in the mid '50s and saw it, I might have had to pony up the 60 pfg, which is the whole point of a cover to begin with!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment