Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Return of Violent Cartoon Ducks With Nukes!

Last week I featured the story about how I almost got my "Duck and Cover" rocket signed six years ago. This week, the saga continues! Let's start with this picture, shall we?


 Now, if you saw the blog last week, you may notice something new on the rocket...Here is a closer view:


Yep, that mark at the bottom is actually Stephan Pastis' signature! Oh, and he added a new character as well:


Yep, in addition to Guard Duck, Rat now resides on my rocket!

Laurie and I went to the book signing last Thursday at the Dallas Morning News. Stephan was very entertaining and gave a short talk on his experiences drawing the strip. Then he went into "signing mode!"

We were not at the front of the line. Actually, we were about two thirds of the way back, and there were a LOT of people there. Still, we waited; Laurie with the book and me with the rocket.

When it finally got to be our turn, Stephan laughed as I walked up and said, "Hey, I think I've seen that rocket before!" I explained how six years ago he had "almost" signed it, and he said, "You've waited six years? Man, you are patient!" He gladly signed it and added the picture of Rat as a bonus. Then he signed the book for Laurie. He said, "I was talking about this rocket at a signing a couple of days ago when somebody asked me about the weirdest things I had signed, but I forgot where it was!"

Well, Stephan, now you know...and you can add to the story now!

Here are some pictures Laurie took of the event...

He recognizes the rocket!

Finishing up the job!

Now he knows where the weird rocket guy lives!

The deal is done!

...except for signing Laurie's book, of course...
...which he DID sign!
Well, there you have it, a rocket signing six years in the making! As always, it was great seeing and talking with him. If you haven't checked out "Pearls Before Swine" in the paper or online, I would recommend it!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment