Monday, April 24, 2017

Violent Cartoon Ducks With Nukes!

No, this week's post isn't in some weird way related to North Korea. Actually, it's about a rocket I built years ago, and my quest to get it signed...

Way back in 2007, I turned 45. My wonderful wife, Laurie, got me an LOC NORAD for my birthday that year. I decided to build it as a tribute to my favorite comic strip, "Pearls Before Swine." One of the characters in the strip is a duck that...well, let's just say that conflict resolution isn't his thing. In the strip, he guards the house and occasionally blows up the neighbors. I figured he could use a surplus Soviet nuke so I built this...

The "Duck and Cover!" (Get it???)
 A couple of years (ok, about three) after I built it, the creator of Pearls, Stephan Pastis had a book signing in Frisco. I bought a book for him to sign, but I also took my tribute rocket. He seemed a little nervous, but he was a good sport and signed it.... Well, sort of.
Original artwork from the artist, Stephan Pastas!
 Do you notice anything missing? I didn't until we were driving off and it was too late to do anything about it. Although he drew a great Guard Duck and put a nice note on it, he kind of forgot one little item....His name!

You may ask yourself, "Self, why is he bringing all of this up now?" Well, let me tell you (since yourself probably doesn't know). It just so happens that Stephan Pastis is doing another book signing this Thursday at the Dallas Morning News offices in downtown Dallas! I bet you can't guess what I'm going to ask him to sign...That's right; a copy of his new Pearls treasury.....oh...and the rocket...

Here are a few more pictures...
My clever graphics...

Our hero!

I put Laurie's NAR number on it as well as my own.
Hopefully all will go well this time! I will update the situation in a future post!
Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

No comments:

Post a Comment