Sunday, March 29, 2015

A TWA Observation...

I have several fairly rare items in my Disney collection. One of these is a tray that was produced in 1954, before Disneyland was actually built. It looks something like this:


The map looks pretty close to the finished product, but there are some glaring differences. For example, the bandstand was moved from Town Square early in construction due to the fact that it blocked the view of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Another difference is how the TWA Moonliner looks. Instead of the almost complete curve of the actual rocket, it has a much more thin and pointed look to it:


When I recently looked at the tray again, a flicker of recognition went off in my brain. It actually looks pretty close to this:


So, it seems that my modification of the Red River Rocketry Red Star's paint scheme might not have been quite as original as I thought. Oh well, I still lile the way it turned out, and it's a great tribute to the first TWA Moonliner designs!

Until next time, fly 'em fast and high!

5 comments:

  1. I don't recall ever seeing a picture of this tray before. I looks like it owes a lot to the famous Pete Ellenshaw "black light" painting that Walt showcased on the Disneyland TV show before the Park was built.

    Something that never jumped out at me before is the placement of the circus tent and open space at the end of E. Center Street. While it proved more practical to have an open service area behind the east side of Main Street and the south side of Tomorrowland, I think having a "vacant lot" on the edge of town for the circus to set up in would have really have added greatly to the small-town, turn-of-the-Century atmosphere. Being right off the entrance thoroughfare might have increased guest attendance at the Mickey Mouse Club Circus, although the concept still might not have worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, but you're probably right. If they could have made it look "field-like" (whatever that means) it might have been cool. Would it have saved it? Probably not, but it would have been neat.

      Delete
  2. ...and we'd still have both missed it anyway. Stupid Space/Time Continuum! Would be some pretty cool pictures over on GDB, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true! Actually, I don't know if I could have sat through a whole circus with all those other attractions calling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true! Actually, I don't know if I could have sat through a whole circus with all those other attractions calling!

    ReplyDelete